How MWx Pyrometers with Dynamic ESP Technology Work
Multi-wavelength pyrometers are used to measure the temperature of non-greybody materials. These are materials for which the emissivity not only varies but varies differently at different wavelengths.
Traditional multi-wavelength pyrometers use static, application-specific algorithms to compensate for complex emissivity characteristics. The MW pyrometers assume that the surface conditions for these applications are relatively consistent.
The Williamson MWx pyrometer uses Dynamic ESP Technology to compensate for more significant variation in surface character and conditions without adjustments.
For aluminum hot rolling mills, the surface character of the aluminum varies dramatically as it goes through the reversing mill, so the traditional MW technology is not appropriate.
For high temperature (<900°F/480°C) aluminum billets, there is an elemental migration of aluminum to the outside billet surface that dramatically changes the emissivity of the billet surface, which the traditional MW technology is not able to manage.
In each of these cases, MWx technology is able to automatically compensate for these dynamic changes in surface characteristics without any additional adjustments or correction factors.
Aluminum Hot Rolling Mill & Strip – MWx-AS
- +/- 10°C accuracy for all passes across all alloys at the roughing mill. No additional offsets or adjustments are required
- Can be used to measure the top or the bottom of the strip
- Real-time temperature feedback allows rolling mills to better control the bite, pressure, speed, and coolant to optimize the rolling process.
The MWx-AS technology can be used at the following locations at the Aluminum Hot Rolling Mill:
- Reversing/Roughing Mill (top and bottom of strip)
- Finishing Mill
Aluminum Billets – MWx-AB
The MWx-AB technology can be used for high temperature aluminum billets (above 900°F/480°C) for extrusion and forging applications.
- +/- 5°C accuracy for high-temperature billets where current MW technology is not repeatable
- Can be used to measure the side of billet or cut face of the billet
- Better temperature control of high-temperature billets ensure a faster throughput while maintaing product quality and reduces the scrap rate.
Measurements can be made along the following billet surfaces:
- Side of Billet
- Cut face of billet
Options & Accessories
AP – Air Purge
SB – Swivel Bracket
PCJ – Protective Cooling Jacket
IM – Interface Module
WC – Water Cooling Plate
Consult with One of Williamson’s Temperature Experts
We would love to discuss your temperature measurement application with you.