Fiberglass Hot Slug Detection
Hot slugs form when a process upset causes molten glass to fall from the spinner and into the product during the manufacture of fiberglass batting. Surrounded by insulating material, these hot slugs remain hot, and days later can cause the paper backing and organic binder material to ignite, creating an expensive and inconvenient fire in a warehouse, on a train or in a truck. The Williamson Model HSD hot slug detector identifies the presence of small slugs below the surface of the fiberglass batting during the manufacturing process. Sensitivity is greatest when mounted after the fluffing blower and before the curing oven.
Hot Slug Detector
The Williamson model HSD combines three innovative Williamson technologies to produce the only viable and reliable hot slug detector.
- Short Wavelengths view deep into the batting to sense even the smallest hot slug.
- Model HSD-00 views about 16 inches into the batting and is compatible with conventional lighting.
- Model HSD-01 views as deep as 30 inches into the batting and is compatible with LED lighting, fluorescent lighting, or an area in shadow. This model is more than 3 times more sensitive to hot slugs near the bottom of the batting compared to the model HSD-00.
Large Viewing Area
- Mounted at a 2.4 meter or 8 foot distance, the HSD views an area 923 mm or 37 inches across. This typical mounting distance requires 3 HSDs to be mounted across the width of the web.
- Mounted at a 1.8 meter or 6 foot distance, the HSD views an area 692 mm or 27 inches across. This more sensitive mounting configuration requires 4 HSDs to be mounted across the width of the web.
Unique Hot Spot Detection System
- The ROC Rate of Change alarm system senses the small but instantaneous change in temperature reading associated with the introduction of the hot slug into the field-of-view.
- To accomplish this, the pyrometer compares the current reading with the reading a fraction of a second earlier. Any rise in temperature is amplified and the result is used as the hot slug alarm parameter.
Download Our Complete Glass Industry Overview
A comprehensive overview to the temperature measurement challenges and solutions in the glass industry.