Multi-Wavelength Pyrometer Technology
Some materials can be difficult or near impossible to measure with precision using single-wavelength or ratio pyrometers because of their complex emissivity characteristics. These types of materials are called non-greybody materials and their emissivity varies with wavelength. It’s important to choose the right industrial infrared thermometer technology for your application; multi-wavelength pyrometer technology is the perfect solution for measuring the temperature of these difficult materials.
Typical Non-Greybody Materials
- Stainless Steel
How Multi-Wavelength Pyrometers Work
- Multi-wavelength pyrometers use application specific algorithms to characterize infrared energy and emissivity across the measured wavelengths to accurately calculate both the actual temperature and emissivity of these complex non-greybody materials
- Algorithms have been developed and refined from extensive data collected from off-line simulations and on-line trials
- Each multi-wavelength sensor can hold up to eight selectable algorithms so that the same pyrometer can be used for multiple applications
MW pyrometers are best for non-greybody materials as they are able to accurately correct for emissivity variations due to:
- Changes in alloy, surface texture, surface oxidation
- Abnormal operating conditions such as a furnace leak, bad roll, or reheated coil (Annealing Line)
With an MW pyrometer, consistent and accurate readings are achieved under a wide range of operating conditions, with no sensor adjustments.
MW pyrometers also have a real-time measure of emissivity, confirming valid temperature measurement conditions and alerting you of invalid conditions that require troubleshooting.
Popular Multi-Wavelength Applications
- Aluminum & Copper: Extruded Surface, Rolled Surface, Cast Surface, Sheared Surface, Forged Surface, Brazing Operations, Coating Preheat, Dies & Molds
- Steel & Zinc: Cold Rolled Steel, High Alloy Steels, Electical Steel, Zinc-Coated Steel, Shot-Blasted Pipe, High Strength Bearings, Motor Rotors
- Other: Glass Molds and Plungers, Magnesium Strip, All Other Non-Greybody Materials Listed Above